Dueling Smoked Wings
by David Slade, Willow Seasonings and Blends
Recently we had a guest on a regional show that I co-host, Colorado Sports Connection, for a pregame show before the Broncos/Browns Game. Gary Robinson, made his debut as we introduced a pregame segment of game day recipes.
His first show he went with a standby, “Wings.” But instead of just wings, he smoked them, but also used Willow Seasoning Rubs as a base to do an Asian Fusion and Mexican Fusion to his smoked wings.
They are tasty, and I hope you enjoy as much as we did.
Feisty Lime Wings with and Avocado Crème
20 Chicken Wings-trimmed, separated, and patted dry
Willow Seasonings High Elevation Rub
Willow Seasonings Feisty Lime Seasoning
- Crème Sauce
2 tsp Willow Seasonings Feisty Lime Seasoning
20 fresh basil leaves (about a hand full)
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat Smoker to 220
- Cover wings with High Elevation, then Feisty Lime seasonings, in that order and to taste, and place in smoker
- Spritz wings every half hour with apple juice if desired, to open up meat pores
- Combine all ingredients of crème sauce to blender and blend to a smooth sauce and set aside
- When wings are done, about a1 1/2 -2 hours, remove them, and serve with the crème on the side or drizzled over them…enjoy
Asian Sweet Smoked Wings
20 Chicken wings, separated, trimmed, patted dry
- Dipping Sauce
1/3 cup of Willow Seasonings Sweet Thing BBQ Sauce
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
2 tablespoons course ground mustard
1/2 tsp ground dry ginger
- Set smoker to 225 and High Smoke
- Apply the combinations of rubs, High Elevation first, then Sweet Smoke to desired taste and strength, and place wings on top shelf of smoker.
- Spritz wings with apple juice every 30 minutes, if desired.
- Combine all ingredients up to sesame seeds into bowl and mix.
- When wings are about 30 minutes from completion, apply a light glaze of the sauce to them
- Remove wings from smoker, about a total cooking time of 1 1/2 – 2 hours and serve with sauce on side.